Tuesday, July 22, 2008

R.I.P. Khia Edgerton, You Will Be Missed


They say that the best way to get through pain is to talk about it, you should vent, cry and just let it all out. I’m gonna write about it to try and see if it makes this pain any better.

Yesterday morning I was at work listening to Frank Ski morning show as I do every morning while I’m at work. I heard Frank Ski mention that he had some sad news concerning somebody in Baltimore so being from Bmore I immediately turned it up to see what was going on. Frank Ski announced that Baltimore’s very own Club Queen K-Swift has passed away. I was stuck, I was shocked and I was hurting. The only thing that I could think about was how I had been putting off calling her for the last few months because I was so busy and I knew how hectic her schedule was as well.

I met Khia when I was about 10 years old we were the only two black girls at a private school camp for the summer called McDonough School in Baltimore County. We instantly bonded for no other reason other than we were both African American. LOL! From that point on we became cool, I wouldn’t call us best friends but we didn’t had mad love for each other and always showed each other love whenever we saw each other. My senior year in high school (Randallstown High School) I remember the school gave Khia the opportunity to do the morning announcements in the morning to wake everybody up, she would do the announcements then play club music afterwards, she’d have us all in our seats dancing during homeroom.

Once I graduated I went to Catonsville Community College. Me and Khia use to catch the bus together every day to and from Catonsville. At that point her and I were always together. She was constantly telling me of her dream to be the first female DJ in Baltimore City, I told her all the time that she should go for it, she started asking people at school to let her DJ their parties and all that. I ended stopped going to Catonsville so her and I lost touch for a while.

Finally a couple of years later I saw her again, we hugged and told her that I was hearing her on the radio and I was so proud of how far she had come, she said she was on her way to being the official Club Queen.

Today my heart is so broken, I can’t believe Khia is gone. What is so deep is seeing how much everybody loved her, she touched so many peoples hearts. Khia had a heart made of gold, you never had a dull moment with her either because she was really funny, her and I use to spend hours just going back and forth cracking jokes. Again, I can’t believe she’s gone.

If I haven’t learned anything from this experience it is to NEVER give up on your dreams, no matter how crazy they may sound to everybody else you keep pushing and doing what it is that God created you to do. Khia lived her life to the fullest, she had a dream and she did everything in her power to reach that dream.

Khia (Club Queen)…my lil sis, I love you, I’m so proud of you, you are gone but you will never be forgotten….

No comments: